So I'm now a tornado survivor. Ok, so the tornado touched down like eight miles from us, but it was still sort of scary. At least it was for me, this being my first experience staring down a tornado. I guess I didn't read the fine print, but this isn't what I thought I signed up for when I moved to Texas. And I'm not just talking about tornadoes. I mean, when I agreed to move here, part of the deal was that, in exchange for suffering through the summer heat, I was supposed to enjoy nice, balmy 50 to 70 degree winters. So what's with the "Arctic Blasts" where everything ices over and life shuts down? And what's up with snow the day before Easters? I grew up in Northeastern Washington state, less that 40 miles from the Canadian Border, eh! I can't remember it ever snowing in April, for crying out loud (cue slow motion shot of me shaking my fist at Mother Nature)!
So anyway, back to the tornadoes... So we were at our house painting and laying tile two days ago, when the tornado sirens started going off. We were listening to the radio, and heard that a tornado was headed in the general direction of our house and the house where Dave was staying with his grandma. I wanted to go be with Dave so that he and his grandma wouldn't have to die alone if anything happened. I was also trying to figure out how I could maintain some semblance of manliness while sucking my thumb in the fetal position under a mattress in the closet (because we all know that's how you avoid getting carried off by a twister.). Meanwhile, Barb and my father-in-law were just hanging out, cool as cucumbers, like it wasn't any big deal.
I guess it's just Texas' way of mocking me for being afraid of a li'l ol' tornado, the way I mocked Texas for completely shutting down over a li'l ol' freezing rain. I can just picture Texas, with a smug look on her face, saying, "how you like me now, Washington Boy???"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hahaha. This is just what I have come to know as "spring." I was in Denton when all of that was happening, watching cars float away in front of our clinic- no joke. We too had all our couch pillows and emergency accessories stashed away in the closet... At least I wouldn't be only in my underwear when being swept away by a tornado.
There's no need to worry until the tornado is at your house....right? Oh, and you should hide in the bathtub with the matress...that way you won't soil any carpet.
I thought the best way to avoid being carried off by a tornado was to click your heels together 3 times..."There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home..."
Thumb-sucking might work too.
Post a Comment