I'm not from Texas. My wife is, though, which explains why I live here. When we moved here, I had a lot of preconceived notions about Texas. Most of them had a direct correlation with Jeff Foxworthy jokes, but after being here for almost a year and a half, I've realized that my stereotypes about Texans only apply to a pretty small percentage of people.
I guess most of my notions about Texas have been disproved. My only problem now with this state is the huge pro-Texas propaganda machine. With all the pro-Texas bumper stickers around here, you'd think that the state was running for office or something. Here are some quotes from bumper stickers I've seen on cars here:
"Don't mess with Texas"
"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could"
"Native Texan"
"If Mexico is so great, then why are you still here?"
"God bless Texas"
Hey, I'm all for regional pride and whatever. Being from Washington, I'm still a Seahawks fan. I love the Sonics, even though they are having a crappy season. I may be wrong, but I just can't fight the feeling that the reason for all this propaganda is that Texans have to continually try to convince themselves that Texas (as a state) doesn't suck.
A year and a half ago, I would have told you I hate living in Texas. But I've come to realize that what makes an area a good place to live is the people. I still am not a big fan of the heat, or the shortage of naturally beautiful scenery, but people here, like everywhere else I've lived, have been really nice. I like living in Texas, but I wouldn't mind if people would tone it down a little bit. I'd like to see some bumper stickers like this on cars:
"I live in Texas and don't plan on moving anytime soon. It ain't half bad."
"Texas: it's no Delaware, but I still like it."
"God Bless the USA, of which Texas is a part."
"I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I found out how cheap real estate was."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
how about balancing something bad with something good- so it's sort of neutral- like--->
"flat as a plate of piss, but the barbeque is good"
"Texas: just one 's' please"
"Have any of you seen my six-(6)-shooter?"
"I come from Alabama with a banjo on my knee"
"I ♣ my dog"
"Texas: American by choice, but we can take it away any time we want"
"Oklahoma sucks more"
"Don't mess with Texas, but if you do, we're rubber and you're glue..."
"Delaware has no sales tax!"
"Texas is for perspirers"
"I brake for armadillos"
"You say beanie, I say toboggan*"
"Texas is hot...but it's a muggy heat."
*To you non-Texas residents, some Texans say "toboggan" to refer to what most people call a "beanie" or a "knitted wool hat". The first time I heard that, I couldn't figure out how a person could wear a sled.
I remember the first time I heard barbie and andi say "toboggan" freshman year. They were like "can I borrow one of your toboggans?". Me: "ummm, I would except I don't even have one myself". Barbie or Andi: "well what about the one on your head? and I have seen you wear other ones...". "oh you mean a hat, you want to borrow a beanie! I thought you ment you wanted to borrow my sled!!! where are you people from?"
but God definitely blessed Texas! yeehaw!
Even Erin learned to love Texas when Lyle Lovett wrote a song for her (and all other Texas critics). "That's right, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway." Texas is happy to have you too, MG. Oh yeah, Viva la Tejas!
Awesome.
Post a Comment