Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What Crappy Christmas Gift Are You?

I was just looking over my last three (incidentally also my first three) posts, and noticed a common thread. My goal in having a blog was to take a crack at some humor writing. I realized that, based on my first three posts, a person who didn't know me would think that I am only amused by situations that deal with gross substances that build up in, or are expelled from, bodily orifices.

Don't get me wrong--I mean, those things are funny. Doy. I just thought I might expand my horizons by exploring other funny stuff. Tonight I googled the phrase "crappy Christmas gifts". I found a site that had a little personality quiz entitled "What Crappy Christmas Gift Are You?" I took it because I have a degree in psychology, which means 1) I know a lot of stuff that is good for answering Trivial Pursuit questions, but that is not very applicable in a little thing that I like to call "the real world", and 2) I know that all tests like this are valid and accurate.

According to the survey, the crappy gift that I am most like is socks. Apparently, I'm "Cozy and warm... but easily lost. [I] make a good puppet." I don't know what's so crappy about getting socks for Christmas. I mean, I remeber when I was ten years old, I wanted some He-Man toys for Christmas. I kept telling my parents how badly I wanted He-Man and his mighty steed, Battlecat for Christmas (as a side note, if any of you can tell me what Battlecat's name was in his down time--that is, when he wasn't the mighty Battlecat--there may be a crappy Christmas gift in store for you).





I snooped around my parents' bedroom for weeks and finally found them a few days before Christmas. I would sneak into my parents' room when I thought no one would see me snooping, and just stare at the motherlode: He-Man and Battlecat in all their glory. I dreamed of Christmas Day, when I would be able to thwart the evil plots of Skeletor and Panthor, his sinister sidekick.


As it turned out though, I think I played with He-Man and Battlecat for about a week, and then moved on to bigger and better things. Socks would have provided a lot more bang for my parents' buck. Call it an ego defense mechanism if you will, but I don't think socks are a crappy gift at all. My wife has hinted around about a few things she would like for Christmas, but I think that after the dust settles and the smoke clears, she'll be glad that I got her socks. Who knows, I might even splurge and get the six-pack.

25 comments:

Bone Junior said...

Apparently I'm socks also. Listen here, blogthings quiz, I am nobody's puppet. It's common knowledge that The Bones are the puppet masters!

andi said...

Wow, I think I got you beat. According to the scientific and valid survery, "***You Are a Losing Lottery Ticket!*** Full of hope and promise.
But in the end, a cheap letdown."

That's comforting. I would, however, love for someone to scratch me off. I need a good exfoliating.

stupidramblings said...

cringer

em said...

beat THIS: i'm a FRUITCAKE...

"you taste like nothing else in this world. and get ready--you're about to be tossed."

what's that all about!! at least socks are warm, cozy and dependable, and a losing lottery ticket had SOME glimmer of hope at one point! a fruitcake is a lost cause from the beginning :)

stupidramblings said...

I'm an ugly pair of underwear:

Comfortable, but uncomfortable to be seen with in public.

g said...

I am a Christmas sweater "Over the top, colorful, and totally flashy.
You're not afraid to be a little tacky." That would describe my experience with Bone Jr just this past weekend pretty- well wouldn't you say Bone Jr? I don't think we could have been more tacky is we had tried- oh wait we did try.

barb said...

i am a self help book. my adivce is not always welcome, but it's always right on target. kinda suits me- doncha think?

Bone Junior said...

We stared tacky in the face and then told it to go make us a sandwich.

MG said...

Stupidramblings: Congratulations on knowing that Battlecat's civilian name was Cringer. However, I think I need to point out a typo on my post. When I said, "there may be a crappy Christmas gift in store for you," what I meant was, "there may be a crappy Christmas gift in a store for you." Surely, in some store, somewhere in America, a crappy Christmas gift sits waiting to be purchased and given to you. I just know you're going to love it. Congratulations.

andi said...

Oh yeah- He-Man's BattleCat was other wise known as Cringer, his cowardly tiger. How many points do I get, because I have been keeping track of bonus points all my life. I figure I redeem them when I die, and that's got to get me something, at least a celestial Slurpee or something.

Erin said...

I am losing lottery ticket too...how sad. I suck.

but on a lighter note, i used to watch he man, I loved that cartoon. I even had the action figure. I also used to watch shera...did you ever watch that? sometimes heman and shera were even in a cartoon together. good times, good times.

MG said...

By the power of Greyskull, you're right! If I remember correctly, they always had some kind of "be a good kid and share with your friends" type message at the end of the cartoon. And does anyone remember Orko? Those crazy Masters of the Universe and their zany antics.

andi said...

I used to watch She-Ra all the time. My brother had Skeletor's castle and I used to think it was the coolest toy ever because it had this trap door in it where the action figure would fall into the "dungeon."

stupidramblings said...

Back off, Andi Mae; the bonus points are mine. And we comfortable underwearses don't share bonus pointses with you lottery-ticketses types.

'And that's one to grow on. Kid's if you ever find yourself in an argument wanting to kick someone's trash, just do what I do.* (*see previous comment to Andi Mae.)

Um...booyah?

MG said...

I'm not sure that quite meets the necessary criteria, but yeah, I'll give you a booyah on that, just on style points and effort.

barb said...

i would really like some new socks for christmas, thankyou.

Bone Junior said...

I had She-Ra's castle and her horse with the wings and mask that you put on to transform it into ... whatever it became when it had the wings and mask on. I even remember She-Ra's filmy little skirt. I wonder if that castle is worth anything today...

g said...

wow way to go MG- i think you have won the comment war. 18 to date! I think the highest any of us has ever gotten was 15- Sweet!

Bone Junior said...

Actually, when "My sister got knocked up and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" debuted, I got over 20 comments. Thankyouverymuch.

andi said...

Yes, Ramblings, I realized that after I posted. At first I read your post and was like, huh? And then I posted and figured it out. Doy. Cut me some slack- my brain cells are overextended!

stupidramblings said...

21. Take that, sarah.

And totally forgiven andi.

g said...

I think this comment ties the famous "my sister got knocked up" post. Put that in your pipe Bone Jr.

Bone Junior said...

Bend over and I'll show you where you can put that pipe.

andi said...

New post please :)

Chaunte' said...

Mike you are funny. Don't stop writing.