Monday, November 06, 2006

That's Plaque-tastic!

Ok, I'll admit that when it comes to flossing my teeth, my habits are a bit "inconsistent". I don't floss every day. If it counts for anything, I do say to myself, "Self, you should floss tonight." more or less every night before I go to bed. Unfortunately my self usually gives some smart reply like, "Oh, no thanks. I'd rather read online articles about BYU football." Most of you are probably saying "Well, Duhhhh!" And I agree--BYU football clearly should take precedence over flossing. But flossing should be a more important part of my life. Anyway, something happened to me tonight that may forever change my views on flossing.

First, though, I think it needs to be said that I hate flossing. Or at least I hate flossing my molars. There's something unnatural, awkward, and just kind of gross about sticking both hands as far back into your mouth as they can go. I'm not sure whether it's the thought of any bacteria that might still be on my thouroughly washed hands getting into my mouth, or the thought of all the bacteria in my just-brushed mouth getting all over my fingers that gets to me. Really, though, I subscribe to the "what I can't see can't hurt me" philosophy of life. Maybe It's just a fool's paradise, but beyond a conscientiously applied regimen of teeth-brushing, hand-washing, and bathing (and a few other "unmentionable" hygienic practices), I don't worry too much about bacteria and microbes and what-not. That's the stuff of forensic scientists, doctors, and mothers-in-law.

Tonight, though, I was at the local Mass Merchandiser Mart looking for a new toothbrush (there are so many choices these days) when my wife said "I wonder if we'd floss more if we had these flossing sticks". I wandered down the aisle to see what exactly she meant by "flossing sticks". I had tried some crappy flossing product before, and hated it. However, I saw a product that tickled my fancy: Plackers® Dental Flossers.



















The dorky product name alone probably would have been enough to convince me to shell out $2.44 of my hard-earned money for the flossers, but when I saw that the "Hi-Performance Tuffloss®" was made with "the same fiber used to make bulletproof vests", I felt almost obligated to buy them. There's a certain comfort to be had in knowing that, if worse comes to worse, I can weave the fibers from my 75 Plackers® into a bulletproof vest. You can't be too careful these days. Especially with them dang ol' (I can say that because I live in Texas) Democrats in power.

As you can imagine, I was excited to get home from Mass Merchandiser Mart to try one of my new Plackers® flossers. It was pretty easy to floss my front teeth, but I couldn't seem to get my Placker® at the right angle to get to my molars. I still had to reach into my mouth, holding the head of my Placker® between my thumb and forefinger. That's when I realized that it's not the inconvenience of flossing, or the microorganism factor that keeps me from wanting to floss more regularly. OK, it's also the inconvenience factor--but I also really hate the slimy feeling of the saliva-coated floss when I'm done.













I was a little disappointed that I still had to reach into my mouth with my fingers, and was beginning to wonder if I had spent my $2.44 plus tax in vain. But then I noticed after I finished flossing that I had unwittingly missed the suggestion on the back of the package that I should "try bending the handle or stimulator pick to access back teeth more easily". What will the friendly folks at Plackers® think of next? And what the heck is a stimulator pick, anyway? I guess I'll find out tomorrow if bending this mysterious "stimulator pick" really works, or if it's just a pipe dream, like BYU's football team playing in a BCS bowl game.

9 comments:

andi said...

What a marvelous beginning. I commend you. Now a few things:
(A) Way sport the BYU hat- although the BCS is full of just that...at least our friendly Cougars are ranked 25th.

(B) When you said mother-in-law and flossing, this thought, of which you should know, popped into my head. I distinctly remember your mother-in-law telling me and your wife that you know if you have bad breath if the floss smells after you slide it through your teeth. Just some food for thought- maybe you should start smelling your Plackers (registered trademak thingee)to be sure that your breath doesn't stink.

And finally, (C) I would also like a bulletproof vest now that the Democrats are so happily in charge.

Erin said...

I suddenly feel inspired to floss...and...GO BYU! welcome to the world of blogging too

MG said...

Andi and Erin,

Thanks for reading my blog. And a friendly correction to you, Andi: As of today, BYU is ranked 23rd. Way to go, Cougars!

Anonymous said...

I like your beginning. And I especially like that you didn't write your first post like this:

"Well, here goes. I don't really know what I'm doing or why I started this blog, but I'm willing to give it a shot because they haven't taken the internet away from us inmates yet."

Or something like that. That's how the good ones got started, but I say, "screw that."

Bone Junior said...

Welcome to the addiction of blogging! Now, where's my copy of your movie trailer??

alisonwonderland said...

welcome to the blogging world, MG! excellent first post! i'm sure i'll be back for more, so keep 'em coming . . .

(btw i came here via the recommendation of stupidramblings whom i visit via a link from daltongirl.)

Anonymous said...

six comments on your first blog post... do we have a healthy sense of competition now??

Th. said...

.

Who is this anonymous person and why is (s)he calling you out?!?!

I would be concerned if I were you.

Colleen said...

Jim uses one of these: http://www.reachaccess.com/home.html

I thought he was the only weird one who didn't like to floss his molars.