When I saw them, I sometimes thought to myself, "I bet I do some things that people think are nerdy, but...dang!" These guys are just subjecting themselves unnecessarily to ridicule. Maybe my college experience was different than everyone else's, but I'm pretty sure that in the BYU "meat market" of dating, chain mail and wooden swords are not your golden ticket to more dates. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the golden ticket to fewer dates.
Regardless, on our recent trip to Utah, we stopped at BYU and walked around for awhile. While we were there, we experienced one of those rare occasions (pictured below) when fate, "The Medieval Club", and our digital camera collided in a moment of serendipity that I couldn't have conjured even in my wildest dreams.
I was a little bit disappointed that no one was wearing chain mail or any other sort of medieval or Arthurian clothing or armor, and that the gentleman with the bandana looks more like a member of the Pirate Club than the Medieval Club. But I'll take what I can get. I hope when I was taking the pictures, they thought that I was just admiring their skills in medieval warfare, rather than giddily laughing, thinking, "You poor saps just made it onto my blog!"
I know, I know--blowing out someone else's candle won't make mine burn any brighter. I'll admit that it's a little high schoolish to make fun of people for being themselves. But if I was publicly doing something that goofy on a university campus with over 30,000 students, I would hope that someone would bring it to my attention and nip my nerdhood in the bud. Ok, I'm glad we had this talk. I've really learned a lot. Plus it was really fun hanging out with you in gym class this year. Keep in touch over the summer. Class of 09 Rulz!
9 comments:
okay, I think i may have peed a little. i remember looking at the guys when i went there and being like..."why? why?" and also it freaked me out a little bit when they did at night in the dark.
I'm probably subjecting myself to a little ridicule here myself, but a couple of years ago I made myself a medieval-looking dress for Halloween. (I was an elven princess, you see.) Anyway, I knew I'd done a good job when this big nerdy looking dude stopped at our table at Village Inn and said,
"Did you make that dress yourself?"
I answered in the affirmative.
"It's amazing! I'm a member of the Medieval Club, so I can really appreciate the fine craftsmanship."
Awesome.
(Nice to see you, btw. I've been reading Barb's blog since I ran into you guys awhile back, but hadn't noticed that you have one too.)
uhhh....mike, they're called The Quill and the Sword and this is their site http://sc.byu.edu/organization.cfm?OrgID=254 .At least get their name right...Gosh!
Erin--I think it makes more sense for them to do their thing after daylight hours. For one thing, it probably hurts their eyes to be in the sun after spending the rest of the week playing Dungeons & Dragons in their basements. It also is probably less damaging to their social lives to "get their nerd on" under cover of night.
Colleen--Long time, no see. And you're not subjecting yourself to ridicule. Everyone gets a free pass on Halloween. I mean, Barb, Dave, and I were the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And regardless of how nerdy I felt, everyone just complimented us on our creativity (unfortunately not the fine craftsmanship). Just out of curiosity, do you remember what the nerdy medieval dude was wearing?
Marcus--Thanks for the tip. I checked out their Web site, and am now thinking of joining. I mean not joining.
He was, unfortunately, not even dressed up. He looked uncannily like Michael Moore.
And THIS is where we went to school. I'm so proud.
And P.S. Thanks for finally posting, gosh!
You know, I thought those sword guys were creepy...until I saw some guys in the grappling club. There were a few of them in my self-defense class one semester and they'd always ALWAYS start grappling when class ended a little early. Have you ever seen grappling? Ugh. Gives me the willies.
Bone--While I know what the verb "to grapple" means, I guess the thought of applying that verb in the context of two males interacting is something I really can't imagine. Especially not from honor code-abiding BYU students. I guess I've heard people call wrestling "grappling" before. I'll assume that's all you're talking about.
HA--yes, it's the wrestling form of grappling, but that seriously doesn't give them a good enough excuse.
Post a Comment